Menaul School, an independent, coeducational school for students in grades 6 – 12 with a mission to develop the minds, bodies, and spirits of its students, is seeking an energetic and creative individual to serve as a part-time boys’ dorm parent.
Menaul’s residential life program is comprised of nearly 40 domestic and international students, split between boys and girls dorms.
* Acting in loco parentis and therefore responsible for all aspects of the residential welfare of students.
* Overseeing daily operations of the residential facility
* Overseeing the cleanliness of the dorm and student rooms
* Monitoring and assisting with the academic progress of students
* Communicating with faculty/staff about students’ academic progress
* Communicating residential issues to the Residential Life Coordinator
* Helping supervise and coordinate evening and weekend activities
* Maintain communication with students through individual contacts, meetings, and discussions.
* Serve as a mediator/facilitator when necessary to provide resolutions for interpersonal conflicts
* Enforcing the program’s rules and policies
* Performing administrative tasks as necessary
* Assisting with school activities and events as necessary
* Conducting a “shift change” with the full time dorm parent to assure all information about the students is communicated before your duty ends
* Promoting the image of the residential program within the school and local community
Skills and Competencies:
* Strong interpersonal skills
* Excellent communication skills
* Pressure resilient/Ability to perform multiple tasks simultaneously
* Analytical thinking skills
* Attention to detail
* Child or classroom management skills
* Experience working with students
* Minimum 3 years working with adolescents in leadership and mentorship capacity
* Willingness to work weekends, holidays, and nights
* Excellent written and oral communication skills
* A motivated and innovative team player
* Experience planning activities and leading adolescent students on excursions
* Able to obtain New Mexico Driver’s License
* Willingness to learn and drive a 14 passenger shuttle bus
* Minimum 2 years working at a boarding school as a house parent or resident assistant
* Experience working with English as a Second Language students
* Knowledge of Albuquerque/New Mexico area
* CDL – with School Bus endorsement
The Dorm Parent position includes room & board. Dorm Parents live in their own residence within the residential facility and should be accessible to students when on duty. Part-time dorm parents are expected to be on duty two to three nights a week. Dorm Parents report to the Residential Life Coordinator.
Please send a letter of interest, a resume, and a list of three references by 15 May 2019 to:
Julie Webb, Residential Life Coordinator
301 Menaul Blvd. NE
Albuquerque, NM 87107
Submit materials electronically to email@example.com