It is Week 3 Menaul School Athletics, and we have a lot of info to share in On the Prowl (Panther Athletics – Week 3), including our first news on Middle School sports. So, let’s get right to it…
Cross County places two runners in the top 5 in final regular season meet
The Panther girls cross country only had three runners for Saturday’s regular-season finale at the St. Pius Cross Country Trials but came away with some great performances.
Menaul freshman Charli B. was edged out at the very end of the race and placed second in the race with a time of 22.37, while sophomore Makayla M. placed fifth with a time of 23:48
Overall, the Panthers finished fifth in the five-team field, with sophomore Vanessa Doyle posting a time of 33.09 as the Panther girls only had three runners on Saturday.
Next up: Menaul next run at the District 2-2A championship in Pecos on Friday at 4 p.m. The Class A-2A Girls State Championship race at Albuquerque Academy is scheduled for Saturday, March 26 at 5 p.m.
The road not kind to volleyball squads
The JV hosted Evangel Christian/Oak Grove Classical on Tuesday, March 16, and swept the Eagles 2-0 in a pair of hard-fought sets, 26-24 and 25-23. The week before, on March 9, the JV fell 2-0 (25-12 and 25-12) at Estancia. The Panther JV is now 1-4 overall and 1-2 in district play.
Meanwhile, the Menaul Varsity (0-5, 0-1) played three matches last week, going 0-for-3. The Panthers fell 3-0 (25-12, 25-10, and 25-15) at Estancia then showed some improvement in dropping a road rematch with Legacy Academy 3-0 (25-15, 25-23, 25-14) on Thursday, March 11. This last Tuesday, Menaul again showed some fight but ultimately dropped a 3-0 decision to Evangel Christian/Oak Grove, falling 25-12, 25-10, and 25-18.
- Tonight (Wednesday, March 17) hosting Cottonwood Classical Prep (Varsity only at 6 p.m. — Streaming link)
- Thursday, March 18, hosting Estancia (JV at 5 p.m., varsity at 6 p.m. — Streaming link)
- Tuesday, March 23, at Mesa Vista (JV at 5 p.m., varsity at 6 p.m. — Streaming link: TBA)
Soccer drops a pair of matches
Road games were a tough proposition for the Oak Grove/Menaul/Evangel Christian combined boys soccer team last week. The Owls faced perennial powers Los Alamos and Sandia Prep, falling 8-1 to Los Alamos last Thursday and 6-1 to Sandia Prep on Tuesday, March 16.
Next Up: OGMEC (1-3, 0-1 in District 1-A/3A) plays:
- At Bosque Prep on Thursday, March 18 at 3 p.m.
- Hosts Rehoboth Christian School this Saturday, March 20, at 2 p.m.
- Plays at St. Michael’s next Thursday, March 25, at 4 p.m.
- Hosts Sandia Prep on Saturday, March 27 at 1 p.m.
- Note: OGMEC home games are played at the Hoffmantown Church campus at 8888 Harper Road NE.
Football falls at Fort Sumner
The Panther football squad fell to 0-2 Friday night, calling to visiting Melrose 52-0 at Tomlinson Field.
Next up: Menaul hosts Melrose High School (1-0) Friday at 7 p.m. on Thomlinson Field. The Panthers next travel to Logan to take on the 0-2 Longhorns on Saturday at 1 p.m. The game is being streamed on the Logan Schools Livestream page. There is a $10 charge for the Internet stream.
APIAL divisions set
Menaul’s volleyball and boys basketball division are set for the Spring 2021 season.
- Menaul’s Volleyball team us in Division B.
- The Panther boys basketball Team 1 is in Division A.
- Menaul boys hoops Team 2 ins in Division B.
Thank you for reading One the Prowl Week 3! See you next week!