Menaul School recognizes the unique learning experience individual mobile devices provides our students. Utilizing devices gives students the access to learn anywhere, anytime- both in the classroom and at home. The 1-to-1 program also promotes the responsible use of today’s ever changing technologies which is essential to being World Smart.
In Grades 6-8, each student receives a school-issued iPad. In Grades 9-12, each student brings his/her own personal laptop to school. Menaul provides all students with access to the necessary software resources needed for their classes. Students will have accounts to Microsoft Office 365 and Canvas.
What Laptop/Device Does Menaul Recommend for Grades 9-12?
The ideal laptop has the following:
- Operating system (preferably Windows or Mac)
- Accessible file structure
- Wi-Fi connectivity
- Ability to install software (web-browser, productivity applications, anti-virus)
- Ports for projection and external storage such as USB and HDMI
We also recommend it have:
- At least 4 GB RAM
- 128 GB SSD (Solid State Drive)
- Headphone/speaker port
- Long battery-life
Things to Consider:
- Portability- Light-weight and durable will be important as students transport the device from class to class. A protective carrying case is also recommended.
- School-focused- Graphics and gaming ability should not be a factor.
- Warranty and insurance- Is there a warranty if the device is damaged? Is it covered under homeowner’s insurance?
We do NOT recommend tablets (iPad, Android, Kindle, etc.) or Chromebooks for Upper School. These devices lack the necessary file structure and software installation for the digital learning environment. These devices can be used as a secondary option when the primary laptop is unavailable.