Messages to the Community
May 18, 2020
Dear Menaul School Community,
Menaul School is in a unique position to manage the school reopening this fall successfully and safely.
Here is our plan:
We will have regular classes with the first day of school as August 19, 2020. We expect to hold regular classes following the best hygienic practices recommended by the CDC and others which will include:
- Classroom sanitation professionally daily
- Using UV lights cleansing in the classrooms and public spaces daily
- A schedule of student hand washing
- Student temperature monitoring daily
As recommended, we will increase the social distance in classes:
- Spread out in the classrooms
- Use one of our dozen larger spaces or outdoors for bigger classes. If we are required to use a percentage of our capacity, we believe we can hold our classes on a regular schedule by adjusting space use.
- We will move chapel to once a week in the gym or outdoors
We adapted to online learning quickly and effectively so will be able to support a blended learning environment for students with the following issues:
- Heath issues
- Late arriving to school from other countries
- Quarantine for having been exposed to an infected person
This summer we will train faculty in best practices for hybrid or blended learning, so we are prepared to use our strong technological platform and experience to the best degree possible.
We are constantly studying how other countries like the Netherlands and Denmark have reopened their schools. We are preparing to implement best practice protocols, so our students are safe and healthy, access the power of the Menaul School experience which is grounded in community and connection and provide the activities that inspire so many young people. We also are increasing our counseling support for students and staff struggling with the stress of our new reality.
Dutch National Institute for Public Health’s report on children and Covid-19: https://www.rivm.nl/en/novel-coronavirus-covid-19/children-and-covid-19
Lancet study which states that school closures are of questionable value compared to other interventions:
Denmark successfully reopens primary schools:
This too shall pass. Blessings!
Mr. Lindsey R. Gilbert, Jr.
President and Head of School
Frequently Asked Questions
All enrolled families are eligible to apply for COVID Relief through Menaul School. An application will be provided starting June15th, to request a tuition payment waiver. To ask about the start date of your payment plan, contact email@example.com. To be eligible for COVID Relief, your family must first have an application processed through FACTS Grant and Aid, and be enrolled at the school.
Although there have been no known positive COVID-19 individuals on campus, call the NMDOH Coronavirus Hotline at (855) 600-3453 if you have concerns about exposure. Please continue to follow medical advice from your provider, and consider tele-health options if it is offered by your health insurance. It continues to be very important that you and your family members stay home when they are sick.
- Educating the community about proactive hygienic measures
- Increasing the cleaning of surfaces in classrooms and common areas
- Urging faculty and staff to stay home when symptomatic
- Taking extra measures to ensure non-contamination with food services
We have no knowledge of any students or staff with symptoms or exposure to the virus.
Should a case arise, due to HIPAA, we cannot ever reveal the identity or specific case details.
Our Chaplain, Rev. Takako Terino is available to students and families for emotional and spiritual support while the school proceeds online. You may reach her through email (firstname.lastname@example.org) and over the phone (917-796-0873).
Additional, all of the resources listed below are free, confidential, and open 24/7. All resources provide trained individuals to talk to. If you are having a life threatening emergency, call 911.
New Mexico Crisis and Access Line
Agora Crisis Center
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline
Crisis Text Line
Text HOME to 741741