Menaul Travel Club is planning a Spring Break trip to Sarapiqui, Costa Rica. This experiential learning trip will include 11 days learning about Costa Rican geography, economics, and biodiversity.
Students will experience culture through food and language. They will visit cacao farms and make chocolate, pineapple farms, and go paddle boarding. All the while, they will be learning Spanish!
The trip is for 10 to 20 Menaul School students. Students will be staying in the beautiful Ara Ambigua Lodge. The tentative dates of the trip are March 16th to March 27th.
The cost of the trip is $2555 per student (not including airfare).
A deposit of 50% is due by November 30th.
Menaul Upper School students who are in good standing academically and behaviorally. Students will attend travel club once a week. Students who participate in fundraising will receive funds for the trip. Others will pay full price.
Students need to apply or renew their passports as soon as possible.
All participants must have a valid international medical insurance to cover for all their medical needs. Usually your insurance will provide this for a select time period.
Sarapiquí de Heredia
Flying in and out from SJO airport
Ara Ambigua Lodge
March 23rd – exact days to be determined based on flights – ideally March 16th to March 27
Itinerary is set for 11 days in Costa Rica
Topics to be covered: – Costa Rica’s general context:
• Basic information about the country in terms of economy, education, geography, sustainability and health system. –
• Why Costa Rica is a world leader in conservation. –
• The environmental impact of banana and pineapple plantations. –
• Plants biodiversity, aquatic habitats, and climate change. –
• Potential and practical uses of medicinal plants. –
• Costa Rican gastronomy and how it’s changing nowadays. –
• Promoting healthy lifestyles: mindful eating. –
• The powerful impact of organic farms: vanilla and black pepper experiences.
• In each site visit/activity, we’ll take time to encourage Spanish practice by presenting new words, phrases, questions, commands, etc. commonly used in the environment we are in.
$2,555 per student: This includes lodging, transportation, breakfast and some lunches, daily recreational activities and tours, taxes, and other miscellaneous items.
Airfare is not included in the price. The range for airfare is $500 to $800 roundtrip.
A 50% deposit is requested by Nov. 30th.
Contact Ms. Cummins for more information.